Friday, March 28, 2008

Part-timer

I'm currently in the process of setting up my own business, as I've mentioned here before. The hard part has not been the French bureaucracy, which I honestly thought would be the real nightmare, but the confidence that I need to take a job and just get on with it.

I've done hundreds of translations inside businesses, advising people on how to word their correspondence, their presentations, their reports, but I just can't seem to find that same confidence to work alone.

Admittedly, it has only been three weeks since I got my auspicious numero de SIRET, but I can't help thinking there are stacks of other translators tapping away more quickly, more effectively and more confidently than I can.

I'm also using the two days a week I have supposedly to concentrate on my business to see family, friends and take short trips. I'm in England at the moment visiting my family and it's so lovely not to be flying in late on a Friday to leave two short days later.

I've been playing with Chloe today at "hidey-boo," her 11-month old charm sweeping away any thoughts I had of applying to more agencies, catching up with old clients and generally networking.

Blood is thicker than water, but I've a feeling my bank balance is going to be getting thinner if I keep this up!

No comments: